This post is also available in: English
They say “tis the season to be jolly.” This does not have to be restricted to only your personal life. However, you do not want to take your holiday celebrations to the extreme either. There is wisdom in balancing your career with your holiday excitement. Unless your livelihood is not linked to the paycheck you receive from your job or you work from Scrooge then finding that happy medium will be vital. Most business establishment and offices use this festive period to give their surroundings a new and appealing look. Typically everyone appreciates beautiful decorations and you can use that as your first step to test the waters. If you turn your cubicle office space into a cleanly designed but holiday themed work zone then there is a probability that your employer might take notice and invite you to decorate the entire business premises. This would give you the opportunity to demonstrate your team spirit and bring some seasons glow.
The following are some tips that can make your holiday time spent at work more enjoyable:
- Mind the size of your office. Even if your boss or other employees don’t appreciate office decoration during holidays, you can do it in a way that they won’t be bothered. Don’t over-do it like most people do. Just keep it simple and beautiful. If you over-clutter your space with Christmas trees and toys, when you know your office is small, then you are making it look like your job is secondary. It could also portray you as disorganized.
- Start and end with cleaning. If your employer or other co-worker seem to be less than pleased with your decorations, they will appreciate a neat office. Start the decoration from your door by giving it a little scrub and then move on to clean the walls and windows of your office. You must also be sure to clean up any mess your decoration might have created in the course of designing them.
- Use small but beautiful decorations. Having adopted the principle of simplicity, you can go ahead and get beautiful but colorful Christmas trees that you can attach to your door or office table. You might also want to speak with your boss and see if he/she would want to increase team moral by throwing a contest. This would promote teamwork and make the office look more festive. Be sure that any materials or tools you use at your place of employment has been approved and sanctioned by your supervisor. There is always the possibility of an accident at work.
- Changing your window blinds to colorful green and red mixture during festive periods like this is also acceptable.
- Choose your decoration time cautiously. If you don’t want to offend others, ensure your decoration time is well planned and scheduled to avoid criticism. You should try not to decorate during your work hours. Decorating activities should take place either before or after your normal schedule. This will not only give you time to focus on the placement but will come as a surprise to your co-workers.
- Avoid loud music. If you are alone in the office or you share it with others, you must avoid any form of distraction. Christmas songs are good and melodious but you need to make sure that your music is not distracting another employee.
What are your plans for the holidays? Do you have any office decorating tips you would like to share?